TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Yemen’s Supreme Political Council called on the people of the Arabian Peninsula country to participate in a massive rally in the capital on Monday to condemn the Saudi-led coalition’s blockade of all air, sea and land ports into the country.
The Supreme Political Council, in a statement, highlighted the importance of the massive demonstration due to be staged in Sana’a on Monday and asked the Yemeni people from all walks of life to take part in the event.
The council also called on the international community to meet its responsibility to help end the humanitarian crisis caused by the Saudi blockade on Yemen.
The Saudi-led coalition closed all air, land and sea ports to Yemen on Monday following a missile attack against Riyadh.
The Red Cross said Tuesday that the latest closure prevented it from delivering a shipment of chlorine tablets, necessary for the prevention of cholera, and fears that it will not be able to deliver 50,000 vials of much-needed insulin.
Humanitarian access to Yemen has also been impeded, the United Nations said.
The blockade is likely to worsen a humanitarian crisis in Yemen that, according to the UN, has pushed some seven million people to the brink of famine and left nearly 900,000 infected with cholera.
On Saturday, a Riyadh-based media outlet claimed that Saudi Arabia’s air force had intercepted a ballistic missile that had been launched from Yemen over the Saudi capital.
The Yemeni ballistic missile attack came in retaliation for the continued massacre of civilians and destruction of Yemen’s infrastructure by the coalition led by the Riyadh regime.
Yemen’s defenseless people have been under massive attacks by the coalition for more than two years but Riyadh has reached none of its objectives in Yemen so far.
Over 14,000 Yemenis, including thousands of women and children, have lost their lives in the deadly military campaign.