Home / Islamic News / Young Gazan man dies of injuries sustained in 2014 Israeli onslaught

Young Gazan man dies of injuries sustained in 2014 Israeli onslaught

A young Palestinian man has died more than four years after being injured in an Israeli aerial attack that targeted his family home in the besieged Gaza Strip.

Palestinian medical sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, said on Wednesday that 25-year-old Iyad Yousef Suleiman, a local resident of the city of Jabalia which lies 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) north of Gaza City, on Wednesday morning, Arabic-language Palestine al-Yawm news agency reported.

In early July 2014, Israel waged a war on the Gaza Strip. The 50-day military aggression, which ended on August 26, 2014, killed nearly 2,200 Palestinians, including 577 children. Over 11,100 others – including 3,374 children, 2,088 women and 410 elderly people – were also wounded in the war.

The Gaza Strip has been under an Israeli siege since June 2007. The blockade has caused a decline in the standards of living as well as unprecedented levels of unemployment and unrelenting poverty.

Tensions have been running high near the fence separating the Gaza Strip from the occupied territories ever since anti-occupation protest rallies began in the coastal enclave on March 30. More than 240 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces. Over 23,000 Palestinians have also sustained injuries.

The Gaza clashes reached their peak on May 14, on the eve of the 70th anniversary of Nakba Day (Day of Catastrophe), which coincided this year with the US embassy relocation from Tel Aviv to occupied East Jerusalem al-Quds.

On June 13, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution, sponsored by Turkey and Algeria, condemning Israel for Palestinian civilian deaths in the Gaza Strip.

The resolution, which had been put forward on behalf of Arab and Muslim countries, garnered a strong majority of 120 votes in the 193-member assembly, with eight votes against and 45 abstentions.

The resolution called on UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres to make proposals within 60 days “on ways and means for ensuring the safety, protection, and well-being of the Palestinian civilian population under Israeli occupation,” including “recommendations regarding an international protection mechanism.”

It also called for “immediate steps towards ending the closure and the restrictions imposed by Israel on movement and access into and out of the Gaza Strip.”

Check Also

Iran arrests 10 suspects linked to Chabahar terror attack

TEHRAN, Dec. 09 (MNA) – Iranian Police Chief Brigadier General Hossein Ashtari said that 10 ...